The Cochin International Airport Ltd (Cial) has become the third busiest airport in India in terms of international traffic during the period of January-May 2021.
The airport handled 5,89,460 international passengers during the five months and attained the third position after Delhi and Mumbai airports.
In 2020, Cial was in the fourth position after Delhi, Mumbai and Chennai airports.
A long period after the second wave of the pandemic, that tattered the aviation sector, positive signs began to appear with the airports in the country recording a gradual increase in both passenger traffic and aircraft movement.
Cochin airport has increased its tally in international traffic from the fourth position to the third during the period of January-May.
The domestic sector is also picking up witnessing a two-fold increase in June.
If the passenger flow of April alone is considered, the airport has facilitated 1,38,625 international passengers and it was the second busiest airport in the country.
CIAL handled 5,89,460 international passengers during the five months and attained the third position after Delhi and Mumbai airports.
During the initial five month period, the total passenger volume registered was 15,56,366.
Cochin Airport and Covid Protocol
- CIAL has adopted the Covid protocol management at par with international standards.
- It implemented innovative ideas like UV baggage disinfectation system at the conveyor belts of both terminals.
- These approaches have contributed to the effort of boosting the confidence of the passengers, said Suhas.
- CIAL has implemented several measures to ensure the steady growth of traffic.
- As soon as the Dubai Authorities made amendments in its travel protocol mandating a rapid. PCR test for Indian passengers, Cochin airport could establish the same.
- A meeting convened by the Managing Director with all stakeholders including the representatives of airlines called for a concerted approach. It was to ensure hassle-free movement of passengers in the terminal and increase the traffic growth.
“From just 3,000 passengers on June 1, the daily passenger volume increased to 7,012 on June 30 touching the total figure for the month to 1,43,366.
The airport handled 1,139 aircraft movements during June. Cial, which has been handling 10 million passengers annually during the pre-pandemic period, is set to facilitate a projected surge in the aviation sector for the forthcoming months”
Cial managing director S Suhas said that the increase in traffic was because of the efficacy of the state government in making Kerala as one of the safest places to arrive during the pandemic period.
“The Kerala government installed free RT PCR testing facilities at all airports for the international arrival passengers.
An integrated travel facilitation strategy was launched at the airport wherein officials of district administration, health, revenue, police departments have been working round–the–clock for increasing the comfort level of the passengers.”
He also said Cial’s pro-active approach in making the airport a safe travel hub has helped in the achievement.
Did you also knew : Air Taxi startup VOLOCOPTER gains key Production Certification.
Stay Tuned and Stay Informed ! Wishing you a awesome day ahead!