ATLANTA- Delta Air Lines (DL) recently provided a series of updates to its SkyMiles Program, building upon previous announcements from September and introducing a range of new benefits.
In an email addressed to customers, Delta CEO Ed Bastian acknowledged the valuable feedback received from passengers in the past few weeks.
He expressed the challenge of reconciling the need to grow the program’s membership with the commitment to deliver exceptional service experiences.
Delta had previously made some tough decisions regarding the program to address this challenge. However, the response from customers made it evident that these changes did not fully align with the loyalty demonstrated towards Delta.
Consequently, in response to this feedback, Delta is now implementing program adjustments and introducing fresh benefits, which will take effect in 2024 and contribute to passengers’ 2025 Status.
Delta Modifications to SkyMiles Program
Delta Airlines has introduced several changes and new features to its SkyMiles Program:
- More Accessible Medallion Status Requirements: Delta has made it easier to achieve 2025 Medallion Status by reducing the required Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) for each tier:
- Diamond Medallion Status: $28,000 MQDs (previously $35,000)
- Platinum Medallion Status: $15,000 MQDs (previously $18,000)
- Gold Medallion Status: $10,000 MQDs (previously $12,000)
- Silver Medallion Status: $5,000 MQDs (previously $6,000)
- MQD Headstart for Cardholders: Members with specific American Express Cards, including the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum, and Platinum Business cards, will receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year.
- Ways to Earn MQDs: Customers can earn MQDs through various means, including Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on eligible Delta American Express Cards (Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve, and Reserve Business). It’s important to note that car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not contribute towards earning MQDs for Medallion Status.
Flexibility for Select Card Members
Delta Sky Club access is becoming more flexible for select Card Members. The changes include:
- Redefining Club Visits: A Delta Sky Club visit will now cover all entries within a 24-hour period following the initial Club entry, encompassing your departure city, connecting airports, and your destination. If you’re on a same-day roundtrip and use the Club on your outbound and return flights, they will be considered a single visit.
- Additional Club Visits: Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members will now have 15 visits per year, an increase from the previous 10. Card Members holding the Platinum Card® and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express will receive 10 visits, up from the previous 6.
- Unlocking Unlimited Club Access: Members can achieve unlimited Club access after spending $75,000 on their eligible Card within a calendar year, granting them unlimited Club access for the remainder of the current program year and the following program year.
- Changes in Eligibility: Starting from January 1, 2024, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members, as well as Basic Economy travelers, regardless of card type, will no longer have access to Delta Sky Clubs.
- Flexibility to Purchase Club Access: Delta will introduce the option for Delta SkyMiles Reserve and Reserve Business Card Members, as well as Card Members with the Platinum Card® from American Express, to purchase Club access at a per-visit rate of $50 per person after using their allotted Club visits. Medallions will also have the opportunity to purchase an annual individual Delta Sky Club membership for $695.
Long Term Benefits
Delta is introducing more generous options for members with high MQM Rollover balances, recognizing long-term loyalty, and providing enhanced benefits:
- MQM Rollover Balances: Starting in early 2024, members can choose to apply their MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs (Medallion Qualification Dollars) or miles. Customers with MQM Rollover balances exceeding 100,000 will receive special offers, extending their earned 2024 Status for one year for every 100K Rollover MQMs. The conversion ratio for MQM Rollover balances to MQDs improves to 10:1 (previously 20:1), and members can also convert MQM Rollover balances to miles at a ratio of 2:1.
- Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term Loyalty: Delta is enhancing recognition for loyal members. Starting on January 1, 2024, Million Miler Status will have a higher priority for Complimentary Upgrades. As of February 1, 2024, Million Milers will receive improved complimentary annual Medallion Status based on their million-mile milestones:
- 6 million miles or more earn Delta 360o™ (formerly Diamond Medallion).
- 5 million miles earn Delta 360o™ (formerly Platinum Medallion).
- 4 million miles earn Diamond Medallion (formerly Platinum Medallion).
- 3 million miles earn Diamond Medallion (formerly Gold Medallion).
- 2 million miles earn Platinum Medallion (formerly Gold Medallion).
- 1 million miles earn Gold Medallion (formerly Silver Medallion).
Delta is introducing enhanced Choice Benefits for Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members for the 2025 Medallion Year, providing them with a range of options, including:
- MQD Accelerator: Members can opt for an MQD Accelerator, with a value of $2,000 for Diamond Medallion Members and $1,000 for Platinum Medallion Members, which will count towards their Medallion Qualification for the next year.
- Delta Sky Club Individual Membership: Diamond Medallion Members can select a Delta Sky Club Individual Membership in exchange for two Choice Benefit selections.
- Bonus Miles: Members can receive increased bonus miles, with 35,000 bonus miles for Diamond Medallion Members and 30,000 bonus miles for Platinum Medallion Members.
- Delta Travel Voucher: The value of the Delta travel voucher is also being increased, with a $350 voucher for Diamond Medallion Members and a $300 voucher for Platinum Medallion Members.
- Wheels Up Statement Flight Credit: A new addition to the Choice Benefits options.
Eligible Medallion Members can make their selections from these new Choice Benefits upon achieving Diamond or Platinum Medallion Status for the 2025 Medallion Year.
Delta is committed to continuously enhancing the travel experience and providing deserving service and benefits to its loyal customers.
Stay tuned with us. Further, follow us on social media for the latest updates.