SYDNEY- Qantas (QF) is supporting an investigation after two of its aircraft were involved in a near miss at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD), the fourth such incident reported at the airport within a month. The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) confirmed there was no immediate risk of collision.
The incident involved a Qantas Airbus A321 preparing to depart for Gold Coast Airport (OOL) and a Qantas (QF) Boeing 737 arriving from Melbourne Airport (MEL). Investigators are examining whether conflicting air traffic control instructions contributed to the event.

ATSB Investigates Latest Sydney Airport Near Miss
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has opened a formal investigation into the latest runway incident after two Qantas aircraft came into close proximity during ground operations at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport.
According to the ATSB, the Boeing 737 had been arriving from Melbourne and had received clearance to make a right turn after landing. At the same time, the Airbus A321, which was preparing for a scheduled departure to the Gold Coast, had also been cleared to proceed.
As the Airbus approached the taxiway, its flight crew observed the Boeing 737 approaching from the left. The pilots applied the brakes normally and brought the aircraft to a stop, allowing the Boeing to pass safely ahead.
The ATSB stated that there was no immediate danger of a collision because the Airbus stopped well before entering the aircraft’s path. As a result, the occurrence has been classified as a safety incident rather than a serious incident under Australian transport safety regulations.
Despite the classification, investigators have decided to conduct a full investigation because of its similarities to several recent incidents at Sydney Airport.

Investigation Will Examine Air Traffic Control Instructions
The ATSB said the investigation will focus on whether conflicting or unclear instructions were issued to the flight crews by air traffic control.
Investigators will interview the pilots and the air traffic controllers involved. They will also review recorded radar information, radio communications, flight data, and other operational records to establish the sequence of events.
The bureau noted that it would also assess whether there are any common contributing factors linking this event with the other runway incidents currently under investigation at Sydney Airport.
A preliminary investigation report is expected within six to eight weeks. However, the ATSB said it would publish any urgent safety findings earlier if immediate action becomes necessary.
Qantas confirmed that both aircraft were operating in accordance with instructions received from air traffic control and stated that it would fully cooperate with the investigation.

Fourth Near Miss Raises Safety Concerns
The latest occurrence marks the fourth reported near miss at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport in roughly one month, increasing attention on airport operations and air traffic management.
On July 27, a QantasLink aircraft arriving from Canberra came into conflict with a Qantas Boeing 737 taxiing after arriving from Queenstown. According to investigators, one aircraft received clearance to enter a runway while another aircraft was on final approach to land.
On August 9, Virgin Australia Flight VA555 from Sydney to Perth and Qantas Flight QF728 from Sydney to Ayers Rock Airport were involved in a runway incursion that resulted in a rejected takeoff.
Later the same day, another incident involved a Jetstar Airbus A320 and a Qatar Airways Boeing 777, which also came into close proximity during airport operations.
The ATSB is separately investigating these occurrences to determine whether broader operational or procedural issues exist.

Air Traffic Controller Staffing Under Spotlight
The recent incidents have renewed attention on staffing levels at Airservices Australia, the government-owned organisation responsible for managing Australia’s air traffic control system.
The Civil Air union has previously warned that controller shortages at Sydney Airport have resulted in heavy overtime and increased operational pressure.
Recently published roster data showed that eight of Sydney Airport’s 17 air traffic controllers worked more than 200 hours of overtime during the past year. One controller reportedly exceeded 900 overtime hours.
Limited staffing has also affected airport capacity. Airservices Australia has occasionally increased aircraft spacing during busy periods to maintain safety, reducing departure rates and contributing to flight delays.
Chief Executive Rob Sharp previously acknowledged that staffing shortages have frustrated passengers and airlines but stressed that safety standards have not been compromised.
He said Airservices Australia deliberately reduces traffic levels whenever staffing requires additional safety margins. While this approach can increase delays, it ensures aircraft continue operating safely.
The agency is expanding its recruitment efforts and aims to increase staffing levels by approximately 10 percent. It has already trained and certified 55 new air traffic controllers this year, with another 40 expected to qualify in the coming months.
The organisation is also building a larger standby workforce at Sydney Kingsford Smith Airport to reduce overtime, improve roster stability, and strengthen operational resilience.

Safety Remains the Primary Focus
Although the latest incident did not place either aircraft in immediate danger, it adds to a series of runway events that have prompted increased regulatory attention at Australia’s busiest airport.
The ATSB investigation will determine whether procedural changes, communication improvements, or additional operational safeguards are required to reduce the likelihood of similar incidents in the future.
Stay tuned with us. Further, follow us on social media for the latest updates.
Join us on Telegram Group for the Latest Aviation Updates. Subsequently, follow us on Google News
