“A mile of highway will take you just one mile…but a mile of runway will take you anywhere!”
Several factors confirm the length of a runway, as well as the elevation, temperature and craft sort, among alternative factors. Environmental factors play a vital role in decisive the length of a runway.
Pilots calculate the length of runway needed supported fuel, take-off weight, elevation, and temperature for his or her several craft. The aircraft’s take-off weight is one among the numerous factors decisive the runway length.
Longest Runways at Commercial landing field
1. Shigatse Peace Airport, China and Ulyanovsk Vostochny Airport, Russia
- At 5,000 meters, China’s Shigatse Peace landing field has the longest runway within the world.
- The landing field is found at associate degree altitude of 3,782 meters (12,408 feet) and serves Shigatse in Tibet Autonomous Region.
- The landing field serves each as a public and military landing field.
- China Eastern Airlines, Tibet Airlines and West Air operate often scheduled flights in and out of Shigatse Peace landing field.
- Along with Shigatse landing field, tied at most wanted is Russia’s Ulyanovsk Vostochny landing field.
- Ulyanovsk landing field, located at associate degree elevation of 77 meters (253 feet), conjointly has the longest runway at 5,000 meters.
- Ulyanovsk landing field is a hub for Volga-Dnepr Airlines, that operates a singular fleet of 12 Antonov An-124, 5 Boeing 747-8F and 5 IL-76TD-90VD (Stage IV).
- Antonov An-124 and Tupolev Tu-204 manufacturers’ are set at this landing field.
2. Embraer Unidade Gavião Peixoto Airport, Brazil
- Located at associate degree elevation of 603 meters (1,978 feet), Brazil’s Embraer Unidade Gavião Peixoto landing field has the second-longest runway at 4,967 meters.
- It’s longest use runway within the Americas. it’s all closely-held and operated by the Brazilian manufacturer, Embraer.
- The landing field is employed by Embraer for flight testing.
- The manufacturer has the ultimate assembly of Phenom a hundred and Phenom three hundred at the landing field.
- It conjointly manufactures elements of alternative craft.
3. Upington Airport, South Africa
- At 4,900 meters, Upington landing field has one among the longest runways at an advertisement landing field.
- The landing field was designed to accommodate Boeing 747 with most payload.
- The landing field is located at associate degree elevation of 851 meters (2,791 feet) and has a very warmth in summer.
- Airlink is that the solely airline in operation often scheduled traveler flights in and out of Upington landing field.
- Multiple airlines conjointly operate non-scheduled charter flights in and out of the landing field because it is a global merchandise hub.
4. Denver International Airport, US
- The largest landing field in North America by acreage has one among the longest runways within the world at 4,877 meters.
- It’s the longest runway in North America accessible for public use. located at associate degree altitude of 1,656 meters (5,434 feet), state capital landing field serves Colorado and therefore the bigger Front vary Urban passageway.
- Denver landing field is a hub for Frontier Airlines and United Airlines.
- It conjointly is a spotlight town hub for Southwest Airlines.
- The landing field has flights to 215 destinations creating it the fourth USA landing field to exceed two hundred destinations.
Shortest Runways at business landing field
A longer runway can certainly facilitate with safety throughout unfavourable climatic conditions and emergency things.
“Longer the runway, higher the take-off!”
However, not all airports have ample area and design for a extended runway, nonetheless still handle regular flights. Some airports square measure thus tiny in size that they seem rather like landing strips. Here square measure a number of the shortest runways.
1. Westray Airport, Scotland
- Situated at associate degree elevation of 9 meter (29 feet), Westray landing field has the shortest runway at simply 291 meters.
- The landing field is wide referred to as one among the 2 airports joined by the shortest regular scheduled flight between Westray and pa Westray landing field.
- Orkney Islands Council operates the landing field, and Loganair is that the solely airline in operation often scheduled flights in and out of Westray landing field.
- Loganair operates regular flights to Kirkwall and Papa Westray from this landing field.
2. Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, Caribbean
- At 400 meters, Juancho landing field has the shortest sealed runway within the world.
- The landing field is found at associate degree altitude of 18 meters (60 feet) and serves the Dutch Caribbean Island of Saba.
- Only STOL craft will land at the landing field and is closed to jet traffic.
- The common craft to control in and out of the landing field square measure DE Havilland North American country DHC-6 Twin Otter and BN-2 dweller. Winair operates each scheduled in addition as charter flights out of Juancho landing field.
3. Heligoland Airport, Germany
- Situated at associate degree elevation of simply a pair of meters (7 feet) on the German island of force unit,
- Heligoland landing field has one among the shortest runways at 480 meters. solely tiny commuter craft operate in and out of Heligoland landing field.
- German regional airline OFD Ostfriesischer-FLug-Dienst is that the solely airline in operation scheduled flights in and out of Heligoland landing field.
4. Tenzing–Hillary Airport, Nepal
- At 527 meters, Tenzing-Hillary landing field has one among the shortest runways within the world.
- The landing field is wide referred to as the place to begin for trekking to Mt. mountain peak and has been named in honour of Asian Tenzing Norgay and Sir Edmund Hilary, the primary 2 folks that with success climbed mountain peak.
- The landing field is commonly mentioned in concert of the foremost dangerous airports globally because of high winds, cloudiness, explosive loss in visibility. And therefore the low prospect of a overshoot because of its difficult topography. each in. is precious to pilots flying in and out of the Lukla, and therefore the Civil Aviation Authority of Asian nation has set high standards for pilots.
- Multiple Nepalese airlines operate regular flights between Katmandu and Lukla with regional turboprops like Twin Otter, Dornier 228 and LET-410.
5. Courchevel Altiport, France
- Situated at associate degree elevation of 2,008 meters (6,588 feet) within the French French Alps, Courchevel Altiport incorporates a runway of solely 537 meters (1,762 feet).
- Because the landing field is made on the facet of a mountain, there’s no overshoot procedure.
- The instrument approach procedure is additionally unavailable at the landing field.
- Alpine Airlines is that the solely airline in operation scheduled flights to Courchevel Altiport.
- The landing field is especially served by DE Havilland North American country DHC-6 Twin Otters and DHC-7 Dash seven turboprops.
Stay tuned and updated with Aviation a2z.