Ground Staff what it is, what does the Airport ground staff job entail? How much is airport ground staff salary? How do you become a ground staff? Is it a good career option? All questions are answered in this blog!
Ground Staff what it is, what does the Airport ground staff job entail? How much is airport ground staff salary? How do you become a ground staff? Is it a good career choice? All questions are answered in this blog!
Aviation is an interesting, I mean that’s the reason I myself am in it. So, yes pretty interesting, as a matter of fact every year the industry employs 65,000 personnel, and is said to employ up to 4 million personnel by 2035. The Indian aviation industry is expected to be the 3rd largest in the world by 2024.
Now, all those statistics look pretty promising, but what are the prospects in the field of aviation?
- Flight Operation (Pilots, Flight Engineers, Stewardess)
- Air Traffic Control (Air Traffic Controllers)
- Ground Staff (Ticketing, Management, Assistance on airport, Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, Baggage Handlers, Other ground crew related to airside operations)
Most of us have heard about the top 2 prospects but the 3rd one. Ground Staff is seen something like an ordinary behind the curtains job, a job career considered to be an secondary option.
Allow me to pull the curtain and show you what the industry holds.
What Is Ground Staff?
The aspect of Ground Staff in Aviation isn’t concentrated say like Pilots, or flight attendants. Ground Staff is a combined term used to describe the various duties of Ticketing, Managing the terminal, assistance to passengers, customer support, medical Support, maintenance and much more.
What Does Ground Staff Do?
Have you ever been to an airport to get your bags checked in, and are greeted by a lovely face to comfort you? That’s the particular airline’s ground staff.
Late for flight? They helped you reschedule on the next one. Who are they? Yep, you guessed it.
A ground staff’s job is spread across two domains namely:
- Airport Operations
- Airside Operations
- Airport Operations – All operations performed by these individuals inside the airport are termed as Airport Operations. Airport Operations consist of Ticketing, Managing People, Customer Support, Customer Assistance, Cleaning, Security, Airport Maintenance and such.
- Airside Operations – All operations performed outside the airport on or near the runway area is termed as Airside Operations. These include Aircraft Maintenance Engineering, Fuelers, Pushback tug drivers, Fire Brigade, Baggage loaders, Technicians and such.
Who Is This Job For And What It Demands?
The job of a ground staff is stressful to say the least, but is also compensated by good offers by the airlines. The job demands working in a highly dynamic environment, where nothing is constant, things change by seconds.
The most important thing this industry demands is problem-solving skills. As mentioned earlier, the workplace is dynamic; you can have lost passengers, agitated passengers who missed their flight. Put yourself in that situation, can you find a solution? Take a minute to think. Yes? Seems you’re ready for what it demands.
Problem-Solving skills isn’t the only thing the job demands; good communication skills, team-working spirit, management ability, interpersonal skills are equally important.
So if you are someone who enjoys working in a dynamic environment and pushing yourself to the edge of your management skills, it seems like a pretty good choice.
Industry Benefits & Compensation (Airport Ground Staff Salary)
Jobs with such demanding responsibilities come with a decent compensation (salary). I shall list each job with its average salary in the industry.
Airport ground staff salary is as follows:
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer – INR 20,000 – 30,000/ month base salary; INR 40,00,000/ year post getting your Engineer’s License
- Airport Management – INR 1,00,000/ year base salary; INR 6,00,000/ year for senior managers
- Ticketing Executive – INR 25,000/ month
- Cargo Supervisor – INR 35,000/ month
- Baggage Handlers – INR 16,000/ month
Those were just the salaries, airlines on special accounts also provide bonuses and free tickets to their employees. Make some friends and pull some strings and you can get free seats on the red eye flights or at the least get it at an discount.
For seniors like the Aircraft Maintenance Engineers, airlines provide paid leave and free tickets to their families! How cool is that for a career bonus?
You now have a brief idea of the industry, how do you enter it? Let’s look at it!
How Do You Become One?
Here’s the basic criteria required to be a part of the ground staff work force (educational requirements may change from country to country) :
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME) – Diploma in AME; or Degree in Aeronautical/Aerospace/Mechanical Engineering
- Airport Management – High School education, Relevant Management experience , or Degree in Commerce/ Social Sciences, Post graduation in Management studies always help
- Airside Operations (Baggage Handlers, Cargo Loaders, Fuelers etc) – Any basic airside operations course is acceptable (training shall include Airside Safety, Loading theory, Weight Theory)
- Ticketing Executives – High School Education, relevant Customer Service experience
- Other Airport Operation jobs don’t demand much education. As these jobs can be done by pretty much everyone.
It is an interesting field to take into consideration. You have all the weapons at your disposal. Use it wisely and to make a career decision on Airport ground staff job.
Unfortunately, explaining every aspect in detail is beyond the scope of this blog; it would rather become a book with all the information. But, I hope I have at least briefed the readers of this blog, on the different aspects of this industry.
Think wisely and decide for your career. Got what it takes?
Any comments or questions or suggestions regarding this blog are very much welcomed in the comments section.
Want more of these amazing blogs?