Airplane travel is one of the safest modes of transportation. But, when you hit an accident, you might want to hire a lawyer. An Aircraft Accident Attorney & insurance to help you overcome the loss by legal procedures or might as well save you from inundated expenses.
Accounting to surveys, the chances of a plane crash is 1 in 5.4 million. Whereas, your chances of being killed in a motor vehicle crash are 1 in 106.
Chances of an airplane accident are very slim. However, when it occurs, damages can be significantly huge.
Do you need an aircraft accident lawyer?
Well, dealing with multiple parties, liability, and injury claims can be overwhelming. So, an experienced aircraft accident lawyer can help you navigate the legitimate claims of a plane crash.
Air travel includes a lot of complex machinery at great heights, also most accidents are severe. And, so the injuries and fatalities are quite common to be severe as well.
Therefore, most effective and efficient way to sort out the mess is to hire an experienced aviation accident attorney.
What are Aviation Accidents?
With no fake assumptions, leading you to the perfect Annex 13 of the Convention on International Civil Aviation. This definition has been accepted by authorities in the U.S. and across the world.
So, according to this definition: An aviation accident occurs any time a person is seriously injured or dies on an aircraft between the time of boarding and disembarking or when the aircraft is missing.
Exceptions in definition include injuries that are self-inflicted, happen by other people or from natural causes.
Also, manned flights where the aircraft sustains damage or fails to operate in a way that affects its performance are also considered accidents.
Aviation Accident Statistics
Aviation, accident statistics are recorded and analysed annually the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). It is a federal agency directly under the leadership of US Congress.
Year 2014, reported a total of 1,290 aviation accidents. And of these, 265 accidents resulted in 444 deaths.
Only 29 accidents and zero fatal accidents occurred in 2020. The data stands among commercial airlines, commuter and charter aircraft experienced 39 accidents, eight of which included fatalities.
In the book of International aviation accidents, Boeing has complete analysis for commercial aircraft in the U.S., Canada, and Worldwide.
Between 2006 to 2015, 182 accidents involving commercial aircraft occurred in the U.S. and Canada, and of these, 11 were fatal. During the same period across the globe, there were 317 total accidents and 54 fatal crashes.A vast majority of aviation accidents, injuries and fatalities are listed under general aviation. These include private and recreational airplanes.
Major Causes of Airplane Crashes
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) takes a closer look at individual accidents. On how they occur and who’s fault it was. All aviation accidents fall within these four general groups:
- Loss of control
- Controlled flight into terrain
- Approach and landing
Fault can often be most commonly in issues are as follows:
- Flawed assumptions
- Human error
- Organizational lapses
- Pre-existing failures
- Unintended effects
For Specific types, the FAA has all of which have happened at some point in the past. Some of these types are in given follows:
- Hazardous cargo
- Avionics confusion
- Fuel exhaustion
- Inclement weather
- Landing and takeoff excursions
- Structural failure
- Engine failure
Causes of accidents Explained
Causes of an aviation accident might turn difficult to be determined. Usually, there are multiple factors contributing to the accident. Some common causes of plane crashes are listed below.
Technology has very well improved safety in recent years. But, pilot error is still a significant cause for aviation accidents.
- Pilots undergo a large amount of circumstantial stress during aircraft operation.
- It can be fatigue, cognitive overload, or inadequate training, an error in judgment can result in disastrous consequences.
Pilots are generally the most obvious person liable in such matters.
But, depending on the accident, other parties such as the airline company or the aircraft manufacturer might be responsible as well.
Another cause of an airplane crash found is a mechanical failure.
An aircraft consists of complex systems and subsystems that enable it to fly safely. Failure of any part of the system can be cause for an accident. Such as:
- Faulty design
- Manufacturer defects
- Maintenance issues
- Missed inspections
People potentially responsible for a mechanical failure can be varied. Whether it’s the aircraft engineers, manufacturer, maintenance company, or some other party, determining who was responsible is a huge task.
Weather-related accidents contribute to 23% of all aviation accidents across the world. Poor weather conditions like thunderstorms or winter storms can make flying dangerous.
Yes, pilots are trained on how to navigate critical weather conditions. But, monitoring weather conditions prior to takeoff—delaying the flight if necessary is must.
Such plane crashes don’t occur in isolation. A bunch of factors like pilot inexperience, miscommunication, or faulty parts can also play a role.
Air Traffic Controller Error
Air traffic controllers have crucial responsibilities in keeping planes safe. They should definitely:
- Communicate with pilots during takeoff and landings
- Control flight paths to avoid collisions
- Make pilots aware of in-air emergencies
- Ensure air traffic is efficient and safe
ATCs can be found to be negligent if they fail to communicate with the pilot or do their part in minimising risk.
- Their role is critical, especially in the case of small private planes.
- Many aircrafts lack advanced instruments, so pilots rely on air traffic controllers to monitor current conditions.
Total count of bird strikes with an aircraft is approximately 16,000 per year in the US. Majority of the cases result in little to no damage to the aircraft.
Talk with your aircraft accident attorney about it!
Sabotage is any incident putting the deliberate takedown of a plane. These can include –
- cases of airliner bombings,
- hijacking, or
- shootdown incidents.
Famous example: Infamous September 11 attacks, where terrorists hijacked four U.S. passenger aircrafts, crashing them into various targets.
While insufficient fuel causing an airplane crash is a rare occurrence, it does and has happened. Pilot’s lack of experience or error in the fuelling process can result in such type of a crash.
Types of aviation accidents
Aviation accidents can take on many forms. Here are some common types of aviation accidents:
- Commercial Airline Accidents: Nature of these accidents can be very complex due to the large number of passengers involved.
- It can also inculcate significant media interest.
- As the commercial airline industry is so heavily regulated, major errors would’ve been made, leading to a crash.
- Varying parties involved will require extensive coordination and expert counsel from an aviation accident lawyer.
- General Aviation (i.e., Private Planes): Private planes have various uses, including sightseeing, recreational flying, business travel, and more.
- Risk for a general accident is generally considered higher compared to commercial airlines.
- Private planes are usually smaller. They can lack up-to-date safety features that larger commercial planes may possess.
- Helicopter Crashes: Helicopter accidents usually result in significant injuries or fatalities.
- Most common causes include pilot error, poor maintenance, defective parts, or weather conditions.
- Air Ambulance: Air ambulances are used to provide medical services to patients, transporting them from an accident post to a hospital.
- Due to the high-pressure circumstance, accidents can occur, causing significant injuries or death.
- Air ambulances can be a medical helicopter or a fix-winged aircraft.
Airplane accident severity
The International Civil Aviation Organization brodaly categorised the severity of an airplane accident into five levels:
- Catastrophic: A complete loss of the aircraft or multiple passenger deaths.
- Hazardous: An incident resulting in severe damages to the aircraft or serious injuries to the passengers.
- Major: Aircraft sustained major damage. Passengers suffered minor injuries as a result of the accident.
- Minor: Both the aircraft and passengers suffered minor damages and/or injuries.
- Negligible: An accident that results in no damages to the aircraft. Passengers might have faced a minor injury or discomfort.
Whether it was a major or minor accident, you should consult with an aircraft accident attorney for accident after an incident.
Even minor injuries can lead themselves into much larger problems in the future. Plane crash attorney will help you obtain the claims, compensation, and care you need after your accident.
After an airplane accident
The situation after a plane accident can be very disorienting and stressful. But, understanding some of your basic rights will be beneficial in your compensation process.
Here are some factors you should consider right after a plane crash.
Seek for medical Attention
You must seek medical attention right after a plane crash. Even if the crash was minor, it’s still a good idea to visit a doctor.
- Waiting to receive medical treatment can cause a minor injury to get progressively worse.
- Also, making medical claims can be more difficult since the insurance company may argue the injury was unrelated to the accident.
Dealing with Insurance Companies
Claiming with the airline or other negligent parties’ insurance companies can be complex. They are not in the mood of giving up money so easily. Commercial airlines typically have large insurance companies with a full legal team backing them up.
Post-accident, they may try to settle directly with the victims. And, Settlements may be much lower than what they deserve. Get in touch with an aircraft accident attorney.
- Thus, it is in the victim’s interest to have a plane crash lawyer deal with the insurance companies instead.
Know Your Rights
The victim has the right to pursue legal action for their damages due to acts of negligence. Plane crashes are more complex because of more number of parties that are potentially involved. An aircraft Accident attorney can help.
Potential responsible parties can be:
- Airline company
- Air traffic controllers
- Airplane/parts manufacturer
- Maintenance company
- Other passengers
In a few cases, we find a combination of the above parties is found negligent in the accident. The aviation industry is always highly regulated with many safety protocols.
So, trusting the point that an incident on the magnitude of a plane crash would likely have been caused by multiple parties’ negligence, is difficult.
An aircraft accident attorney (lawyer) can help you
Airplane crashes are rare. But they can cause you immense and significant damages resulting in long-lasting consequences. Getting the compensation and help you deserve should be a priority.
Here are some ways an aviation accident attorney can help your case:
- As we already know, determining who is liable is not always clear-cut.
- Multiple parties could potentially be involved in a plane crash.
- A lawyer will help parse out the different parties who could be responsible.
- They’ll interview experts like engineers, specialists, or aviation authorities to determine the underlying real cause behind the crash.
Determining the value of your damages:
- An airplane accident lawyer can help you assess exact the value of your damages.
- They’ll account for economic damages, such as medical bills or loss of wages.
- But, they’ll also factor in non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
- Your lawyer will definitely know if the insurance company’s offer is too low and negotiate accordingly.
Meeting time limitations:
- For maximum cases, there are time limits for filing a claim after an aircraft accident.
- A lawyer will ensure you meet any filing deadlines.
Determining applicable laws:
- Laws differ in different and variable states and jurisdictions.
- Which laws will apply in an airplane crash—the departure state, the destination state, or the state where the crash occurred?
- Furthermore, what if the victim’s primary residence is in an entirely different state?
- A lawyer will carefully consider all the factors to determine which laws are applicable and which state to best file suit.
Personal Injury Claims for Aircraft Accidents
Victims in every accident always have the right to file civil claims against the at-fault party/parties in pursuit of financial damages.
~ Filing a personal injury claim for an aviation accident could result in reimbursement for all past and future accident-related expenses, such as:
- Medical expenses. Medical care for yourself or a loved one who died, including any future medical care for long-term or permanent injury, should be a part of an aviation accident settlement or award.
- Lost wages. If you missed work while recovering from your aviation accident, list your lost income as part of the compensation.
If the accident has caused a permanent disability, this may include the loss of future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering. The civil justice system enables you to seek damages for physical pain and suffering, emotional toll, mental anguish, and other intangible impacts from an aviation accident.
- Fatalities. If one loses a loved one in a plane crash or other aviation disaster, surviving family members may be eligible for damages such as loss of consortium, funeral/burial expenses, and lost inheritance.
Useful Websites to get you an Aircraft accident attorney –
Thank You. Stay safe and connected.
Keep following for updates.